Find out about The Mariposa Foundation, what they do, their story and how you can help.
Cabarete really is an incredible place packed with inspiring, like-minded and interesting people. Some of these lovely humans don’t just enjoy the beaches, weather, watersports and adventures. They also help those less fortunate to enjoy too by giving back to the community and The Mariposa Foundation is a group of selfless people who do just that.
Founded in 2009 by a group of volunteers who shared the same mission, to educate and empower girls to create sustainable solutions to end generational poverty. With this mission in mind, the Mariposa Foundation has since then built a beautiful facility here in Cabarete where Haitian and Dominican girls can enjoy sports, receive academic tutoring, learn job and life skills, access libraries and computers and health and wellness care. The facility is a positive, energetic and safe place for these girls with glass artwork on the walls, quotes and portraits of significant historical women. There is pride, power and inspiration everywhere you look!
Mariposa means butterfly in English and represents transition, freedom and peace.
What Does The Mariposa Foundation do?
The Mariposa Foundation work not only locally, but also globally to educate and empower women. Below we’ve outlined exactly what they do.
- All the girls are offered additional academic support in reading, writing and math. Extra support is also offered to those studying for national exams.
- The foundation currently sponsors more than 40 girls in a school scholarship programme to ensure the best possible education.
- They get the girls to and from school safely with transport assistance.
- For poor families, the cost of uniform can stand in the way of children going to school, so Mariposa provides uniform and supplies for the girls.
- Learning outside the classroom allows the girls to understand and apply the knowledge they have learnt in the classroom. The girls are taken on field trips to teach them about nature, environmental consciousness, gardening and community service.
- The girls are offered job skill training so they can use their resources to find work and learn beneficial skills.
Health and Wellness
- Health education teaches the girls about physical and mental health, HIV/AIDS, sex education, hygiene, disease prevention and more.
- The girls learn about the importance of their health with regular medical and dental visits and eye exams.
- They all take part in weekly sport to help give them confidence, work as a team, have fun and keep them fit and healthy.
- During all Mariposa activities, healthy and filling meals and snacks are provided along with education on nutrition.
What Can You Do to Help?
Aside from donating money to the foundation, there are a variety of things you can do to help. To keep it simple we’ve listed a few of them below.
- Visit the Cabarete Coffee Company. They make a tasty coffee, breakfast and lunch and their brownies are out of this world delicious. The older girls from the foundation work there with all the profits filtering back into the foundation.
- Treat yourself to a new backpack. The foundation recycles old sails and turns them into backpacks, pouches and grocery bags. You can find them at their online Etsy store, at the facility or at LEK Kiteschool.
- Check out their wishlist. They have a list of things that you could possibly have laying around unused at home that they could use! Take a look before your next trip and pack them in your case.
It really is a wonderful place to stop by and visit whilst you are here in Cabarete. Oh and don’t forget to try one of their brownies too!
You can find all the information on previous and current projects on their website.